- 1A projection on the side of a boat, ship, or seaplane, in particular:More example sentences
- The three davits for the deployment of landing craft and the patrol boat are relocated to a sponson installed on the port side of the ship instead of on the flight deck.
- The battery door is on the aft end of the sponson that houses the port main landing gear.
- At one critical point in the match, a streaker emerged from the hangar, running across the flight deck (in just shorts and hat), disappearing down onto one of the aft sponsons.
- 1.1A gun platform standing out from a warship’s side.More example sentences
- By Christmas the new bridge wing, gun deck and other sponsons had been replaced, and shortly after all the wiring and ship's fittings were replaced and set to work.
mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of sponsonDefinition of sponson in:
- The US English dictionary