Definition of spore in English:
1 Biology A minute, typically one-celled, reproductive unit capable of giving rise to a new individual without sexual fusion, characteristic of lower plants, fungi, and protozoans.
- Grain mold fungi also produce spores capable of aerial dispersal in the field as well as within a grain storage bin.
- Bunt fungi survive as resting spores on contaminated seed.
- Many questions concerning toxicity and allergenicity have been raised about corn contaminated with the spores of this fungus.
1.1 Botany (In a plant exhibiting alternation of generations) a haploid reproductive cell which gives rise to a gametophyte.
- When contaminated seeds are planted, bunt spores germinate in the presence of moisture and infect the wheat seedlings.
- After landing on a host plant, spores germinate and produce a germ tube that grows across the leaf surface.
- A spore can infect a plant and cause a new lesion which will produce spores in 7-10 days.
1.2 Microbiology (In bacteria) a rounded resistant form adopted by a bacterial cell in adverse conditions.
- In the production of dry milk these bacterial spores are able to survive the spray-drying process.
- A concentration of just 5 parts per million was adequate to eradicate 50,000 spores under laboratory conditions.
- While the spores are not extremely long lived, they could survive this form of movement.
Words that rhyme with sporeabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
Definition of spore in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.