nounZoology & Medicine
- A motile spore-like stage in the life cycle of some parasitic sporozoans (e.g. the malaria organism), which is typically the infective agent introduced into a host.More example sentences
- Tissue damage to the host's liver, kidney, spleen, lungs, or other organs can occur when the vector injects sporozoites that enter host cells to develop into meronts.
- The sporozoites released from the oocyst reproduce asexually within cells, producing merozoites that burst from those cells, each to infect a new cell.
- Meiotic division then gives rise to haploid cells that develop into infective sporozoites, which migrate to the mosquito salivary glands and infect humans during mosquito blood-feeding.
More definitions of sporozoiteDefinition of sporozoite in:
- The US English dictionary