Definition of sprocket in English:
1Each of several projections on the rim of a wheel that engage with the links of a chain or with holes in film, tape, or paper.
- One of the drive chains jumped the sprocket and the team could not fix it.
- Worn chains and sprockets may be working improperly long before they actually break.
- All of the moving parts are fully enclosed so you have got no chance of sprockets or drive shafts whirring around or anything like that.
1.1 (also sprocket wheel) A wheel with sprockets.
- Modern aluminium sprocket wheels are so light, he says, that doubling their size is relatively unimportant.
- If the chain has not fallen off the sprocket wheel, its movement may be obstructed by something.
- The sprocket wheel is attached to the rear wheel, which thus also rotates 2 times a second.
mid 16th century (denoting a triangular piece of timber used in a roof): of unknown origin.
Definition of sprocket in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan