- The brown caterpillar of a small North American moth which is a serious pest of spruce and other conifers.
More example sentences
- Choristoneura fumiferana, family Tortricidae
- Without these insect eaters, there would likely be more severe outbreaks of spruce budworms, which could devastate both commercially and recreationally important forests throughout the northern Midwest.
- In a 1940 report, he drew attention to the damaging effect of the spruce budworm in the Miramichi region during the epidemic of the 1920s.
- In New Brunswick, the spraying of the spruce budworm began in 1952 as a short-term containment strategy.
More definitions of spruce budwormDefinition of spruce budworm in:
- The US English dictionary