Definition of stage-manage in English:
1Be responsible for the lighting and other technical arrangements for (a stage play).
- Well, I stage-managed at least 150 performances of that play through the course of ten years, even played some of the smaller roles in it.
- He stage-managed and was in two sketches in The Dublin Theatre Festival Unclouded Day and Over the Rainbow.
- I played Jim in The Glass Menagerie and then went on to stage-manage a production of Our Town by Thornton Wilder.
1.1Arrange and control (something) carefully in order to create a certain effect: he stage-managed his image with astounding success
More example sentences
- Along the route ending in Parliament Square, five giant video screens were erected relaying selected images from the carefully stage-managed affair.
- Carefully stage-managed campaigns often avoid appealing to the emotions of voters; their appeal is more to the intellect.
- It sought to appeal mainly to the emotions by the use of ritual, carefully stage-managed ceremonies, and intensely charged rhetoric.
- Example sentences
- Stuart's background as a chartered mechanical engineer, coupled with musical experience and stage management and set design qualifications, provided the perfect technical balance to Judy's artistry.
- It was wonderful to see so much talent amongst both junior and senior students on the stage, in the choir and the band, and in the lighting, sound and stage management.
- At 18 Jae knew he wanted to pursue a career in show business so he went to study stage management at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London.
- Example sentences
- He has also worked as a stage manager and production manager for many performing arts companies around Australia.
- It has a professional director, musical director and stage manager and more and more sets are being specially created for the society.
- Director Ryan O'Connor and stage manager Lynn Wallis are busy going over some behind-the-scenes business.
Pronunciation: /ˌsteɪdʒ ˈmanɪdʒm(ə)nt/noun
Pronunciation: /ˌsteɪdʒ ˈmanɪdʒə/noun
Words that rhyme with stage-managemanage, mismanage, pannage
Definition of stage-manage in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan