- The male fertilizing organ of a flower, typically consisting of a pollen-containing anther and a filament.More example sentences
- Artificial pollination was effected by brushing the recipient flower stigmas with stamens from the pollen donors.
- Unisexual flowers with three white petals produce numerous stamens or carpels and both present floral nectar.
- Instead of leaves, a floral meristem gives rise in sequence to sepals, petals, stamens, and carpels.
mid 17th century: from Latin, literally 'warp in an upright loom, thread'.
More definitions of stamenDefinition of stamen in:
- The US English dictionary