An upright bar, post, or frame forming a support or barrier.
- There is barely a scrap of bare metal on the stanchions, pillars, posts, railings, and decking ribs.
- The overhead power lines caused problems because stanchions supporting them were too far apart and cheap materials had been used.
- The massive stanchions that had supported the crane gantry rails in the past now support the new steel-framed structures.
- Example sentences
- Out of respect for the veterans, media are required to stay within the stanchioned area during the ceremony.
- Stanchioned cattle are very restless because their restraint limits their ability to lick or scratch.
- the main point of air springs is saving weight, and a 40mm stanchioned fork isn't going to pull that off too well.
Words that rhyme with stanchionexpansion, mansion, scansion
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: stan|chion
Definition of stanchion in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.