noun (plural same)Anatomy
- A small stirrup-shaped bone in the middle ear, transmitting vibrations from the incus to the inner ear. Also called stirrup.More example sentences
- Reptiles have a single ear ossicle, the stapes or stirrup bone.
- That bone turned out to be the stapes, which transmitted vibrations to the animal's inner ear.
- Urbantschitsch has provided detailed measurements of the malleus, incus and the stapes.
mid 17th century: modern Latin, from medieval Latin stapes 'stirrup'.
More definitions of stapesDefinition of stapes in:
- The US English dictionary