Definition of star anise in English:
1A small star-shaped fruit with one seed in each arm. It has an aniseed flavour and is used unripe in Asian cookery.
- Add the carrot juice, gingerroot, star anise, lemon and orange zest, and chile powder.
- Place the huckleberries, cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, and cardamom seeds in a medium bowl.
- Bring the caster sugar and 500 ml of water to the boil in a medium saucepan, then add the lemon juice, stem ginger, star anise and the vanilla pod.
2The small Chinese evergreen tree from which star anise is obtained.
- Illicium verum, family Illiciaceae
- Many herbs can help to deter flies, such as lavender, sweet woodruff, lemon verbena, star anise, tansy, any of the mints, rosemary, bay, chamomile, rue, elder, southernwood and basil.
- In the meantime, there is no short-term supply relief in sight, because star anise trees take years to mature.
Definition of star anise in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan