- (In the US) the rights and powers held by individual states rather than by the federal government: they took up arms to defend liberty and states' rightsMore example sentences
- The moderates (there are no liberals) upheld federal power over states' rights which is consistent with their position.
- No one expects Roberts' views on states' rights vs. federal powers to derail his candidacy.
- This reminds me of the issues surrounding the Civil War, like states' rights and the role of the federal government.
More definitions of states' rightsDefinition of states' rights in:
- The US English dictionary