A carved or cast figure of a person or animal, especially one that is life-size or larger.
More example sentences
- The sculptor Antonio Canova used classical statues as the basis for his figures of modern men and women.
- However, it is very brittle and difficult to rework, and therefore not generally used to cast statues.
- The white marble from which Michelangelo carved his statues came from these mountains.
- More example sentences
- Charlotte's sanctuary is described as ‘an ancient rotunda, pillared and statued, niched and roofed, densely overarched,’ a perfect replica of Maggie's mental image.
- Here the image is of a literal place, a location at Fawns: ‘an ancient rotunda, pillared and statued, nicked and roofed’, surrounded by ‘alleys… densely overarched with the climbing rose’.
- Within its statued, frescoed interior, guards call ‘No flash!’