- 1An engine that uses the expansion or rapid condensation of steam to generate power.More example sentences
- The sails were removed in 1866 and the mill was then powered by a coal-fired steam engine.
- He also refused to use a crank - to translate the reciprocal motion of the steam engine into the rotary motion required by most machines - because someone else had already mentioned it in another patent.
- In 1852 he flew 27 km. in a dirigible, powered by a steam engine.
- 1.1A steam locomotive.More example sentences
- It was the perfection of the steam engine by George Stephenson in 1825 that converted the railway into a means of transporting heavy goods which would replace both road and canal.
- The locomotive, the first steam engine to reach 100 mph and the first to travel non-stop from Edinburgh to London, has attracted worldwide interest.
- We pass a steam engine and the depot as we leave town.
More definitions of steam engineDefinition of steam engine in:
- The US English dictionary