A sturdily built greyish duck which churns the water with its wings when fleeing danger, typically flightless and native to southern South America.
- Genus Tachyeres, family Anatidae: several species, including the flightless T. brachypterus of the Falkland Islands
More example sentences
- There are other species of steamer ducks who do have wings and are able to fly, however, most chose not to.
- We'll look for giant woodpeckers, albatrosses, steamer ducks, guanacos, sea otters and red and gray foxes.
- In the sandy bay along the water's edge look out for birds such as the magellanic and blackish oystercatchers, the Falkland flightless steamer duck along with the kelp goose and the crested duck.
Definition of steamer duck in:
- The US English dictionary