Definition of stenography in English:
noun[mass noun] North American
The action or process of writing in shorthand and transcribing the shorthand on a typewriter.
- They sought a white-collar and clerical staff capable of using the latest office machinery, with modern office skills (such as stenography and typing), polished grammar, and some mathematical prowess.
- Its first students studied ‘commercial skills’ such as typing and stenography.
- When she returned home to Carlisle, Pennsylvania, she enrolled immediately in a local commercial college and a year later, after learning typing and stenography, sent out applications.
- Example sentences
- She was employed by the United States government for nine years as stenographer, secretary, administrative assistant and acting personnel director in the Public Buildings Administration.
- The women served in a variety of nursing positions, as recreation or entertainment specialists, secretaries, stenographers and clerks.
- In 1910, 38 percent of bookkeepers, 85 percent of stenographers and typists, and 18 percent of clerks were women.
- Example sentences
- Sales included a rare first edition of Sir Isaac's stenographic shorthand from 1837, which fetched £763 and a £2,115 manuscript volume of his correspondence in shorthand between 1839 and 1843.
- The paper encourages reporters to incorporate analysis into their reporting rather than compose a stenographic procession of facts, quotations, and official denials, allowing it in many cases to get closer to the truth than its rivals.
- More insidious than the numerous hothead pundits are the far more numerous reporters who can't stop providing stenographic services to official sources under the guise of journalism.
Words that rhyme with stenographyautobiography, bibliography, biography, cardiography, cartography, chirography, choreography, chromatography, cinematography, cosmography, cryptography, demography, discography, filmography, geography, hagiography, historiography, hydrography, iconography, lexicography, lithography, oceanography, orthography, palaeography (US paleography), photography, radiography, reprography, topography, typography
Definition of stenography in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan