- A machine resembling a typewriter that is used for recording speech in syllables or phonemes.More example sentences
- It's called a stenotype machine, and it's also used for captioning television broadcasts and general office stenography.
- I can personally attest to that, having tried to learn a similar tool, the court reporter's stenotype machine, with which it is possible to record speech verbatim much faster than any typist can do.
- Electronic stenotypes are not autonomous devices; they are linked to a computer.
- More example sentences
- The jobs will be available for both good realtime stenotypists and good realtime voicewriters.
- Widespread use of Computer Aided Transcription in the early to mid 1980s assured stenotypists that they no longer needed to dictate their notes or use the services of professional typists.
- Court reporters, both stenotypists and voice writers, who specialize in captioning live television programming for people with hearing loss are commonly known as stenocaptioners.
More definitions of stenotypeDefinition of stenotype in:
- The US English dictionary