Definition of stenotype in English:
A machine resembling a typewriter that is used for recording speech in syllables or phonemes.
- It's called a stenotype machine, and it's also used for captioning television broadcasts and general office stenography.
- I can personally attest to that, having tried to learn a similar tool, the court reporter's stenotype machine, with which it is possible to record speech verbatim much faster than any typist can do.
- Electronic stenotypes are not autonomous devices; they are linked to a computer.
- Example sentences
- The jobs will be available for both good realtime stenotypists and good realtime voicewriters.
- Widespread use of Computer Aided Transcription in the early to mid 1980s assured stenotypists that they no longer needed to dictate their notes or use the services of professional typists.
- Court reporters, both stenotypists and voice writers, who specialize in captioning live television programming for people with hearing loss are commonly known as stenocaptioners.
Definition of stenotype in:
- US English dictionary