- 1 Medicine A splint placed temporarily inside a duct, canal, or blood vessel to aid healing or relieve an obstruction.More example sentences
- Research has focused on developing methods to reduce or eliminate the potential for restenosis, including drug-eluting stents and radiation therapy.
- Complications, however, included migration of the stent, occlusion of the stent and obstructions of the cystic duct.
- A ureteral stent was placed to relieve the obstruction.
late 19th century: from the name of Charles T. Stent (1807–85), English dentist. The sense 'splint' dates from the 1960s.
• historical , chiefly Scottish
verb[with object] Back to top
Middle English: from Old French estente 'valuation', related to Anglo-Norman French extente (see extent).