Definition of sticking plaster in English:
1A piece of flexible material with an adhesive backing for covering cuts or small wounds.
- A simple first aid kit with sticking plasters and greasy dressings will help deal with minor injuries, and petroleum jelly is useful for abrasions.
- The thin walled tube had kinked under the sticking plaster.
- It's not first aid in the sense of a sticking plaster and a bandage.
1.1 [often as modifier] A temporary and inadequate solution to a serious problem: speed cameras may help, but this is a sticking-plaster solution
More example sentences
- Seven thousand African troops sent in to monitor the situation are just a sticking plaster on a gaping wound.
- On Wednesday last week, Gordon Brown delivered a Budget which is little more than a sticking plaster for the General Election.
- At the moment we are using a sticking plaster approach.
Definition of sticking plaster in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan