Definition of stipple in English:
1(In drawing, painting, and engraving) mark (a surface) with numerous small dots or specks: (as noun stippling) the miniaturist’s use of stippling
More example sentences
- The flattened back strap and grip surfaces were stippled and coated in OD, as was the slide, which was fitted with AmeriGlo's triple-tritium dot, ghostring-and-post sight set.
- Shearing surfaces are shown with a pattern of short grey lines, while broad crushing surfaces are stippled in grey.
- Charcoal shading adds the depth and substance, and Mark's hair is stippled in to give the ‘cropped’ look.
1.1Produce a decorative effect on (paint or other material) by roughening its surface when it is wet.
- Additional colors can be incorporated into the color scheme by stippling the paint or wash on, rather than off.
- The tip is painted fluorescent orange whilst the body is stippled using a piece of sponge with emerald green.
- We stipple it on sparingly with a small paint brush and finish off with a soft brush - but there must never be a hole in it, lest a loose thread catches and causes damage.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The process or technique of stippling a surface, or the effect so created: these pictures combine his favourite techniques—wash, line, and stipple
More example sentences
- The technique of stipple goes back to the fifteenth century.
- My wife came with us last week, which is quite rare, since Frank and I have a tendency either to sit around discussing the exact stipple technique he used in the 1720s.
- Lane's technique is stipple, a succession of dots that form an image.
Mid 17th century: from Dutch stippelen, frequentative of stippen 'to prick', from stip 'a point'.
- Example sentences
- In addition to bristle or rubber stipplers, sponges can be employed to provide a similar kind of decoration.
- The stipplers are cleaned by wiping them on a dry paper towel using a circular motion.
- High-quality spiky stipplers are by no means low-priced but it is worth though paying a fine price for a high-grade instrument.
Words that rhyme with stipplefipple, nipple, ripple, tipple, triple
Definition of stipple in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan