Definition of stochastic in English:
Having a random probability distribution or pattern that may be analysed statistically but may not be predicted precisely.
- Let us now sum up his mathematical contributions which were almost all in the area of mathematical statistics, more precisely stochastic analysis, random processes, regenerative phenomena and mathematical genetics.
- It was heavy duty mathematics at that, involving an obscure technique known as stochastic differential equations.
- He has written on stochastic geometry and its applications, and the statistical theory of shape.
Mid 17th century: from Greek stokhastikos, from stokhazesthai 'aim at, guess', from stokhos 'aim'.
- Example sentences
- To summarize the asymptotic behavior of the stochastically fluctuating allele frequencies, we first iterated the recursions for 500,000 generations starting with random initial allele frequencies and global linkage equilibrium.
- We will outline a simple Fourier space Brownian dynamics algorithm that allows us to stochastically evolve a thermal membrane surface forward in time.
- Each generation new values of these integers are chosen stochastically in accordance with the model.
Definition of stochastic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan