Definition of stolon in English:
1 Botany A creeping horizontal plant stem or runner that takes root at points along its length to form new plants.
- The length of the lateral shoot at each phytomer position along the primary stolon of plants after 45 (solid symbols) and 38 (open symbols) d growth.
- Others spread aggressively by stolons (stems that creep along the soil surface, taking root and forming new plants at intervals).
- Clonal progeny may be produced by stolons, runners, rhizomes, tubers, buds on bulbs, corms and roots, layering of stems, and agamospermous seed.
1.1An arching stem of a plant that roots at the tip to form a new plant, as in the bramble.
- The experimental plants were partitioned into roots, petioles, leaves and stolons.
- Leaves communicate photoperiodic signals to meristems, stolons and buds in flowering, tuberization and dormancy.
- In late spring, the parent plants send out chicks often on long colourful stems called stolons that form dense carpets.
2 Zoology The branched stem-like structure of some colonial hydroid coelenterates, attaching the colony to the substrate.
- The base of the polyp becomes fixed to the substrate and stolons emanate from the aboral pole of the primary polyp.
- Colonies are diploblastic and composed of three morphological structures: polyps, stolons and the stolonal mat.
- Well-studied examples occur in the hydractiniid hydroids, which encrust hard substrata with stolons that serve as tube-like connections between feeding polyps.
Early 17th century: from Latin stolo, stolon- 'shoot, scion'.
- Example sentences
- S. aegyptiacum forms erect, branching and stolonate colonies that resemble strings of glass beads.
- Phylactolaemate bryozoans form globular or stolonate colonies in a variety of exclusively fresh water habitats.
- Colonies are usually fleshy, stolonate, membraneous, encrusting, or upright with branching.
- Example sentences
- Other studies have noted changes in resource allocation with reference to the availability of supports as well as rates of development, leaves, stoloniferous axes and other climbing aids.
- Hieracium pilosella L. is a widespread stoloniferous perennial that produces distinct rosettes on a slender rootstock.
- The species is sometimes stoloniferous, with a rosette of basal leaves and a variable number of fertile stems bearing dichasium-type inflorescences.
Definition of stolon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan