Definition of stoma in English:
noun (plural stomas or stomata ˈstəʊmətəstəʊˈmɑːtə)
1 Botany Any of the minute pores in the epidermis of the leaf or stem of a plant, forming a slit of variable width which allows movement of gases in and out of the intercellular spaces. Also called stomate.
- Leaf stomata control plant CO 2 absorption through photosynthesis and water loss through transpiration.
- The outer layer of the abaxial epidermis contains sunken stomata with strongly fluorescing chloroplasts in the guard cells.
- However, the presence of both adaxial and abaxial stomata on leaves of T. pusillum var. texanum did differentiate it from other taxa in this species complex.
1.1 Zoology A small mouth-like opening in some lower animals.
- Note the characteristic long and straight stoma of Rhabditidae, the well-developed teeth at the base of a short stoma of Diplogastridae, the well-sclerotized stoma lining in Panagrolaimidae and the stoma lining divided in several elements of Cephalobidae.
2 Medicine An artificial opening made into a hollow organ, especially one on the surface of the body leading to the gut or trachea.
- A single lesion involving a tracheotomy stoma was treated with the direct application of the probe without using the bronchoscope.
- One may speculate that the differences in rates of bleeding and infection can be explained by differences in the tracheostomy stoma following these two techniques.
- An ileostomy with two openings includes an open stoma for effluent and another stoma for a mucous fistula.
stomal adjective ( Medicine )
- Example sentences
- There was 1 case of tracheo-oesophageal fistulae, 3 cases of postoperative dysphagia and 11 cases of stomal stenosis.
- The aperture of the skin barrier should lie within 1/8-inch of the base of the stoma, close enough to protect the peristomal skin yet large enough to prevent trauma to the stomal mucosa.
- Decannulation of these patients was done by either, fenestrating the tube and corking the stomal end of the tube to test for patency of the airway, direct one-time removal of the tube, or by sequential use of tube of decreasing size.
Definition of stoma in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan