(also stottie, stotty cake)
Definition of stotty in English:
noun (plural stotties)[mass noun] Northern English
1A kind of coarse bread made from spare scraps of white dough.
- This causes the stottie to become rather unpleasant and damp.
- She will be able to buy a little more stotty cake and perhaps a bottle of Newcastle brown now and again.
- Stotty is a Geordie expression meaning ‘bounce’, and you may see why it's called stotty bread, stotty cake, or flat cake when you read the recipe.
1.1 [count noun] A soft roll made from coarse bread.
- If you want a sandwich leave the packaged triangle shaped things in London and wait till you get to Newcastle and ask for a filled stottie.
- You can get Brown Ale over here in Alberta, but there are no stotty cakes in Quebec as far as I know
- By the way, the Geordie brekkie of a stotty cake isn't breakfast to us Cumbrians.
of unknown origin.