Definition of stratagem in English:
1A plan or scheme, especially one used to outwit an opponent or achieve an end: a series of devious stratagems
More example sentences
- There are conventions and stratagems for achieving the effect, and these are used as necessary.
- Cunning plans, devious stratagems, state-of-the-art conventional forces, and legal and moral proscriptions, can all be helpful.
- Fighting experience taught Soviet commanders a lot: they learned how to use stratagems and achieve surprise.
1.1 [mass noun] archaic Skill in devising plans or schemes; cunning.
- The US is effectively addressing the Islamic terror around he globe, through diplomacy, through stratagem and through the use of force depending on ground situation.
- Whether his resignation was tendered because of petulance or careful stratagem, he now has a real measure of the Government's dependence on him.
- This approach emphasizes stratagem and maneuver over firepower and seeks to set the terms of conflict even before the opponent is aware conflict exists.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan