Definition of strengthen in English:
Make or become stronger: [with object]: he advises an application of fluoride to strengthen the teeth [no object]: the wind won’t strengthen until after dark
More example sentences
- It spreads and strengthens and multiplies until it smothers anything trying to stifle it.
- Nicotine is the substance that reinforces and strengthens the desire to smoke.
- It strengthens muscles and increases endurance, which is very important during labour.
make strong/stronger, build up, give strength to, make healthy, nourish
become strong/stronger, gain strength, intensify, pick up, heighten
fortify, bolster, make stronger, give strength to, give a boost to, boost, reinforce, harden, stiffen, toughen, steel, cement;
increase, add to, fuel, add fuel to;
reinforce, make more forceful, lend more weight to;
strengthen someone's hand (or hands)
- Enable or encourage a person to act more vigorously or effectively: the military aid will only strengthen the hand of the armyMore example sentences
- In the short run the coup had the effect of strengthening his hand.
- That strengthens Pakistan's hand in its dealings with India.
- The float also strengthens its hand and will bring capital into the business that will be used to reduce debt.
- Example sentences
- Mr Proudfoot will use poultices to remove encrusted dust and grime before treating the stone with chemical strengtheners to prevent cracking and erosion.
- Calcium and vitamin D are good general bone strengtheners.
- Dips target your lower pectorals, triceps, and shoulders - they are an ideal upper-body strengthener.
Words that rhyme with strengthenlengthen
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan