Definition of string quartet in English:
1A chamber music ensemble consisting of first and second violins, viola, and cello.
- Arriaga was second fiddle in a string quartet at nine years of age, and two years later wrote an octet.
- Even with Adriano's increase of strings over the original string quartet, this performance keeps much of that flavor.
- The Quartet is the graduate string quartet in residence at the Hartt School with the Miami String Quartet.
1.1A piece of music for a string quartet.
- Finally, the Third Symphony contains music derived from a string quartet by way of an opera, so it really is not a late work at all.
- His own compositions number over 60 and include a symphony, string quartet, thirty-four songs, and numerous solo piano pieces.
- The CD contains a short string quartet movement, a suite of four pieces for brass quintet, and solo pieces for piano, trombone, and cello.
Definition of string quartet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia