Definition of stuffing in English:
1A mixture used to stuff poultry or meat before cooking: sage and onion stuffing [count noun]: packet stuffings are quick to use
More example sentences
- In 17th and 18th-century English recipes, mixtures for stuffings and forcemeats of many types are recorded.
- They are filled to the brim with three stuffings: meat (pork and beef with onion, garlic); cheese and potato; sauerkraut and wild mushroom.
- On a hard roll, layer turkey, cranberry sauce and stuffing with a little mayonnaise.
2Padding used to stuff cushions, furniture, or soft toys: the stuffing is coming out of the armchair
More example sentences
- Flax mills were built on the north-west side of the Takaka Hill, producing fibre used for rope, sacks, upholstery stuffing and linen.
- The stuffing of the tooled-leather cushion rustled as I settled into it.
- Fur and the stuffing of the cushion rustled as he sat and settled himself.
3 [count noun] informal A heavy defeat in sport.
- This was one of the most abject stuffings in the history of Scottish rugby, with Glasgow losing out on power, pace and skill, as well as almost every phase.
- So tomorrow, I'll spend two hours praying we give Telford a good stuffing, and that two of our most hated local rivals do us a favour by taking points off other teams in the dogfight.
- But since the football pitch has replaced the battlefield, our desire to see Germany get a good stuffing has not diminished.
knock (or take) the stuffing out of
- informal Severely impair the confidence or strength of (someone): rebuffs and power struggles knocked the stuffing out of him illness had knocked the stuffing out of meMore example sentences
- The two Hungarian goals either side of the break then knocked the stuffing out of a team already low on confidence and another defeat was duly delivered.
- The mum of two said: ‘When you are 50 and feeling well, it knocks the stuffing out of you, to say the least, to be told you have bowel cancer.’
- We try to do our bit to make the place better, but this sort of thing just knocks the stuffing out of us.
Words that rhyme with stuffingmorphing • roofing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.