adjective (stupider, stupidest)
- 1Lacking intelligence or common sense: I was stupid enough to think she was perfectMore example sentences
unintelligent, ignorant, dense, brainless, mindless, foolish, dull-witted, dull, slow-witted, witless, slow, dunce-like, simple-minded, empty-headed, vacuous, vapid, half-witted, idiotic, moronic, imbecilic, imbecile, obtuse, doltish; gullible, naive• informal thick, thick as two short planks, dim, dumb, dopey, dozy, crazy, barmy, cretinous, birdbrained, pea-brained, pig-ignorant, bovine, slow on the uptake, soft in the head, brain-dead, boneheaded, lamebrained, thickheaded, chuckleheaded, dunderheaded, wooden, wooden-headed, fat-headed, muttonheadedNorth American • vulgar slang dumb-assfoolish, silly, unintelligent, idiotic, brainless, mindless, scatterbrained, crackbrained, nonsensical, senseless, irresponsible, unthinking, ill-advised, ill-considered, inept, witless, damfool, unwise, injudicious, indiscreet, short-sighted; inane, absurd, ludicrous, ridiculous, laughable, risible, fatuous, asinine, pointless, meaningless, futile, fruitless, mad, insane, lunatic• informal crazy, dopey, cracked, half-baked, cock-eyed, hare-brained, nutty, potty, dotty, batty, barmy, gormless, cuckoo, loony, loopy, zany, screwy, off one's head, off one's trolley, out to lunchBritish • informal daftScottish & Northern English • informal glaikitNorth American • vulgar slang half-assed
- Of course, he wasn't stupid or irresponsible enough to abscond completely.
- Most accidents are caused by blowouts or other mechanical failures and stupid drivers with no common sense.
- I'm not stupid enough to think that we all feel the same way about everything.
noun• informal Back to top
- A stupid person (often used as a term of address): you’re not a coward, stupid!More example sentences
- It soon became apparent that he was suffering from the stupids when he repeatedly asked for directions to where we were already taking him.
- They're still stupids who should not be allowed out in public.
- I appreciate it a lot, but don't bother with the stupids, for it is wiser to just laugh at them.
- More example sentences
- He said his client had acted completely stupidly and totally out of character.
- In fact, stupidly, and quite embarrassingly, I was one of the only people really laughing in the room.
- The first was Jarrett; who quite stupidly charged his opponent with a tediously slow right armed swing.
mid 16th century: from French stupide or Latin stupidus, from stupere 'be amazed or stunned'.