noun (plural sties)
A pigsty: figurative the place is a real sty, beer and wine bottles all over the place
More example sentences
- It was a complete sty; papers littered the ground, dirty dishes were in the sink, and the windows were covered with a grimy film.
- I'm gonna catch a disease with my clothes torn, my body sweating and now, having to crawl through an absolute sty of filth!
verb (sties, stying, stied)[with object] archaic Back to top
Words that rhyme with styally, Altai, apply, assai, awry, ay, aye, Baha'i, belie, bi, Bligh, buy, by, bye, bye-bye, chi, Chiangmai, Ciskei, comply, cry, Cy, Dai, defy, deny, Di, die, do-or-die, dry, Dubai, dye, espy, eye, fie, fly, forbye, fry, Frye, goodbye (US goodby), guy, hereby, hi, hie, high, I, imply, I-spy, July, kai, lie, lye, Mackay, misapply, my, nearby, nigh, Nye, outfly, passer-by, phi, pi, pie, ply, pry, psi, Qinghai, rai, rely, rocaille, rye, scry, serai, shanghai, shy, sigh, sky, Skye, sky-high, sly, spin-dry, spry, spy, Sukhotai, supply, Tai, Thai, thereby, thigh, thy, tie, Transkei, try, tumble-dry, underlie, Versailles, Vi, vie, whereby, why, wry, Wye, xi, Xingtai, Yantai
noun (plural sties or styes)
An inflamed swelling on the edge of an eyelid, caused by bacterial infection of the gland at the base of an eyelash.
- Usually the staphylococcal bacteria are not concentrated enough to do any harm, but sometimes they pass deeper into the skin to cause boils, abscesses, styes and carbuncles.
- A stye is an infection of a tear gland at the edge of the eyelid.
- A stye is caused by infection of a gland at the base of one or more eyelashes.
Early 17th century: from dialect styany, from styan (from Old English stīgend 'riser') + eye.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.