1.1A wire or piece of plastic run through a catheter or cannula in order to stiffen it or to clear it.
- I can still clean the blood from an infusion needle with a wire stylet, sharpen it on an Arkansas stone, check for barbs using a cotton ball, and re-sterilize it.
- If the patient demonstrates an anal bellows or great toe flexion, this confirms the location of S3, and the surgeon removes the stylet of the foramen needle.
- After insertion of the needle into the lymph node, the stylet was removed.
2 Zoology (In an invertebrate) a small style, especially a piercing mouthpart of an insect.
- PPV is transmitted by aphids - small, teardrop-shaped insects with a sharp mouthpart called a stylet for sucking out plant sap.
- Mites damage ferns by puncturing the edges of fern fronds with their tube-like stylets and other mouthparts, sucking up the nutritious contents of frond cells.
- The salivary glands, stylets, and sucking pharynx are known as the buccal apparatus.
Late 17th century: from French stilet, from Italian stiletto (see stiletto).
Words that rhyme with styleteyelet, islet, twilit
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sty¦let
Definition of stylet in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.