noun[mass noun] Chemistry
An unsaturated liquid hydrocarbon obtained as a petroleum by-product. It is easily polymerized and is used to make plastics and resins.
- Chemical formula: C6H5CHCH2
More example sentences
- Industrially, benzene is used in the manufacture of nylon, phenol, styrene (and by polymerization polystyrene), and cyclohexane.
- Some researchers believe that prepolymers - such as unsaturated polyester cross-linked with styrene or epoxies - achieve better results.
- Polyamide resin, thermoplastic polyurethane, acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, nylon, and styrene acrylonitrile materials are also available.
Definition of styrene in:
- The US English dictionary