Definition of suave in English:
adjective (suaver, suavest)
(Especially of a man) charming, confident, and elegant: all the waiters were suave and deferential
More example sentences
- While McConnell is just as sharp, balanced, and articulate as Roberts, he is less suave and more direct.
- Needless to say he was suave, had great finesse, and a quiet sense of style.
- He is so suave he won't run for fear of getting a strand of hair out of place.
charming, sophisticated, debonair, urbane, worldly, worldly-wise, polished, refined, poised, self-possessed, dignified, civilized, gentlemanly, gallant;
smooth, smooth-talking, smooth-tongued, silver-tongued, glib, bland, polite, well mannered, civil, courteous, affable, tactful, diplomatic, slick
The early sense of this was ‘gracious, agreeable’. It is from Latin suavis ‘agreeable’. The current sense dates from the mid 19th century.
- Example sentences
- The smokiness of sautéed artichokes suavely romances the seared salmon with roasted tomatoes.
- Rimbaud rolls down the window and suavely says, ‘You're the woman of my dreams.’
- Why would anyone want to stay in a hotel room, however suavely appointed, when there's a city out there that begs to be experienced with open eyes, mouth and pockets?
- Example sentences
- Yet the ex-slave's voice, with its lack of contractions, lucid philosophical tone, and fluidly repetitive cadences, suggests self-assurance, rationality, even suaveness.
- I'll amaze her with my charm and suaveness in the pool and she'll have no choice but to fall madly in love with me.
- His pride, suaveness, sarcasm and playfulness would all dissipate, leaving him completely exposed and vulnerable.
Words that rhyme with suaveAlgarve, calve, carve, grave, Graves, halve, Slav, starve, Zouave
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan