Definition of subfamily in English:
noun (plural subfamilies)
1A subdivision of a group.
- Accordingly, the kindred was subdivided into 27 subfamilies to remove the loops created by inbreeding.
- First, the deeper contrasts, those where the social lineage and its nonsocial relative are from different tribes, subfamilies, or families, are all positive.
- Petal wilting has been found to be ethylene-sensitive or insensitive, and these two categories were consistent within families or subfamilies.
1.1 Biology A taxonomic category that ranks below family and above tribe or genus, usually ending in -inae (in zoology) or -oideae (in botany).
- Many genera in the subfamily Ambleminae, tribe Lampsilini exhibit sexual dimorphism.
- The family Clusiaceae and the subfamily Clusioideae with the genus Clusia have a minimum phylogenetic age of 90 x 10 years.
- We here examine the evolutionary pattern of Catsper1 from nine species of the rodent subfamily Murinae of family Muridae.
Definition of subfamily in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.