noun (plural subgenera /sʌbˈdʒɛn(ə)rə/)Biology
A taxonomic category that ranks below genus and above species.
- The lowest taxonomic rank is species (genera / subgenera in mollusks) and the highest is family.
- Popov's monograph of Cenozoic cardiid shell microstructure includes more than 62 genera and subgenera and 150 species.
- In the gastropods groups I surveyed, 124 taxa at the subgenus and species-group level occurred in the Gatunian Province during the late Miocene and early Pliocene.
- Example sentences
- The mid-E extinction showed no selectivity according to subgeneric size, regardless of how size was measured.
- This fact complicates the usage of subgeneric categories established within the genus Palaeozygopleura.
- Estimates of the number of species world-wide range into the hundreds, but most of the 35-40 oak species in deciduous forests of eastern USA can be placed into one of two subgeneric groups.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sub|genus
Definition of subgenus in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.