noun (plural submucosae /ˌsʌbmjʊːˈkəʊsiː/)Physiology
The layer of areolar connective tissue lying beneath a mucous membrane.
- Between the mucosa and muscle layers lies the submucosa, which is rich in blood vessels and connective tissue.
- Beneath the mucosa, there is a loose connective tissue layer called the submucosa.
- Some of the nodules were located in the submucosa beneath areas of mucosal ulceration, but did not show communication with or disruption of the mucosa.
- Example sentences
- Biopsies of the pharynx, performed after radiotherapy, showed infiltration of small lymphocytes, plasmacytes, and neutrophils in the submucosal area.
- The cause of death was excessive infusion and absorption of normal saline during hysteroscopic ablation of submucosal leiomyoma for menorrhagia.
- The lesion appeared to be submucosal with an intact submucosa and muscularis propria interface.
Late 19th century: from modern Latin submucosa (membrana), feminine of submucosus 'submucous'.
Definition of submucosa in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.