- The soil lying immediately under the surface soil.More example sentences
- Wetland creation attempts are often initiated by the removal of upland surface soil materials exposing mineral subsoil strata.
- Heavy clay subsoil or sandy soil with low fertility must be improved if roses are to be grown successfully in them.
- When digging out the bed, discard any heavy, tight subsoil and save the topsoil.
verb[with object] (usually as noun subsoiling) Back to top
- Plough (land) so as to cut into the subsoil: to gain maximum benefit from subsoiling this operation needs to be done when the lower levels of the soil are relatively dryMore example sentences
- Studies in the past showed that subsoiling clay soil in the spring does not improve cotton harvests.
More definitions of subsoilDefinition of subsoil in:
- The US English dictionary