- Teleological theories draw from the efforts of the individual agent to distinguish the real from the apparent good, and to harmonize conflicting impulses by subsuming them under a comprehensive conception of the good.
- It is a kind of enveloping void that subsumes the senses into a kind of frozen present.
- Three important elements are subsumed under the first branch of the test.
- Example sentences
- Individual and tribal morality might be subsumable under the morality of the nation.
- It also explores several conceptions of objectivity that are each either inapplicable to law or subsumable under at least one of the six conceptions just mentioned.
- The Graduate Certificate in Management is subsumable within the Graduate Diploma in Management, which is subsumable into the Master of Management.
- Example sentences
- One's own subsumption - any tool that allows people to think they are doing the right thing when buying hyper-commodified products from sites of mass-consumption needs to be attacked.
- Kierkegaard's injunction that we leap into faith should be taken less, as is normally done, as a demand for the subsumption of reason into the irrational, but as a call to show fidelity to your conviction.
- For some thinkers, places must resist total subsumption under the self.
Mid 16th century (in the sense 'subjoin, add'): from medieval Latin subsumere, from sub- 'from below' + sumere 'take'. The current sense dates from the early 19th century.
Words that rhyme with subsumeabloom, assume, backroom, bloom, Blum, boom, broom, brume, combe, consume, doom, entomb, exhume, flume, foredoom, fume, gloom, Hume, illume, inhume, Khartoum, khoum, loom, neume, perfume, plume, presume, resume, rheum, room, spume, tomb, vroom, whom, womb, zoom
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sub|sume
Definition of subsume in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.