1The process or skill of taking one number or amount away from another: subtraction of this figure from the total
More example sentences
- Roman numerals are fine for recording numbers, and for doing simple additions and subtractions, which meant they were adequate, if somewhat cumbersome, for commerce and trade.
- They were all excited doing their addition, subtractions, multiplications and divisions, mentally and with abacus.
- Apart from additions and subtractions, they also multiply, divide, calculate square roots, etc, all in a matter of seconds.
1.1 Mathematics The process of taking a matrix, vector, or other quantity away from another under specific rules to obtain the difference.
- If the spectra are dominated by fluctuation of the motor charges, subtraction of two spectra obtained at different pipette potentials should have a similar relaxation time.
- ‘The Analytical Method of vector addition and subtraction uses vector components,’ I reminded Mr. Shah.
- The processing can be extremely fast, requiring only the time to record a patch from a camera and then carry out the subtraction and a single matrix multiplication.
Words that rhyme with subtractionabstraction, action, attraction, benefaction, compaction, contraction, counteraction, diffraction, enaction, exaction, extraction, faction, fraction, interaction, liquefaction, malefaction, petrifaction, proaction, protraction, putrefaction, redaction, retroaction, satisfaction, stupefaction, traction, transaction, tumefaction, vitrifaction
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sub|trac¦tion
Definition of subtraction in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.