The concave inner surface of the umbrella of a jellyfish or other medusa.
- These rhopalial ganglia presumably sort this information and then distribute it to the appropriate effectors, the swim musculature, via the distributed nerve net of the subumbrella.
- From the center of the subumbrella hangs the manubrium, which terminates with a mouth opening.
- Hydromedusae swim by rhythmically contracting the circular swimming muscles located in the subumbrella.
- Example sentences
- Yet another hypothesis for the origin of the mesoderm from the subumbrellar epithelium of a hydrozoan medusa buds has been recently advanced.
- The nervous system can be divided into three functional parts: the sensory clubs or rhopalia, the conducting nerve ring, and the motor nerve net underlying the subumbrellar epithelium.
- Ding further described Sanxiamedusa and Maopingimedusa from Doushantuo black shales at Miaohe and interpreted them as medusae based on claimed subumbrellar radial canals and tentacles.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sub|umbrella
Definition of subumbrella in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.