- (Of a liverwort) having leaves obliquely inserted on the stem so that their upper edges are overlapped by the lower edges of the leaves above. Often contrasted with incubous.More example sentences
- On closer inspection one would find that the leaves of Lophozia barbata are four-lobed and succubous.
- Leaves sometimes distichous, vertically oriented, transversely or subtransversely inserted, but with ventral base succubous and sometimes decurrent, constantly 2-lobed to 0.1-0.6 their length.
- Leaves succubous, circular to oblong-ovate, rounded, usually with very conspicuous yellow gemmae produced at the upper margins, concave, costa none.
mid 19th century: from late Latin succubare 'lie under' + -ous.
More definitions of succubousDefinition of succubous in:
- The US English dictionary