Definition of succuss in English:
(In preparing homeopathic remedies) shake (a solution) vigorously: a drop of 1 c solution is diluted and then succussed again
More example sentences
- Then he used some of this mother tincture to make the final remedy by diluting and vigorously shaking (succussing) it in water over and over again.
- This is succussed and the resulting solution is known as the first potency.
- The mother tincture is precisely diluted again, and shaken (‘succussed’).
Mid 19th century: from Latin succuss- 'shaken', from the verb succutere, from sub- 'away' + quatere 'to shake'.
- Example sentences
- According to contemporary investigation, the processes of succussion or trituration disturb the atomic state of a drug substance by jolting electron (negative charge) out of its orbit.
- The liquid sound is then further energised by succussion (shaking vigorously).
- The curative agent must be ‘potentized’ by a series of dilutions and ‘succussions’, such that not even a molecule of the original substance remains in the ‘remedy.’
Definition of succuss in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan