Definition of suctorial in English:
1Adapted for sucking (as, for example, the mouthparts of some insects): a suctorial proboscis
More example sentences
- Tadpoles do have several rows of denticles, as well as a large, ventrally placed, suctorial oral disk - a suction-cup shaped mouth with which it clings to rocks in fast water.
- The tadpoles of Amolops species are torrent-adapted, and have suctorial disks on their bellies.
- The larvae have suctorial discs and reduced tail fins, which presumably are adaptations for living in swift flowing streams.
1.1(Of an animal) having a sucker for feeding or adhering to something: suctorial insects
More example sentences
- One explanation is that suctorial insect growth was limited by the phenology of the host plant and not just by climate.
- This group includes the suctorial lice, confined to mammals; they are strictly parasitic insects, being confined to their hosts constantly and deriving all their nourishment from them.
- Extremes in this case are represented by suctorial species, Poyntonia paludicola, and various semiterrestrial forms (e.g., Arthroleptides, Cycloramphus, Nannophrys, and Thoropa).
- Example sentences
- Based on radular and soft-tissue morphology and personal observation of feeding behaviors, it appears that species from both regions feed suctorially with the assistance of a diminutive radula.
- The Opisthobranch molluscs Elysia timida, E. translucens, Thuridilla hopei and Bosellia mimetica feed suctorially on the algae Acetabularia acetabulum, Udotea petiolata, Cladophora vagabunda and Halimeda tuna, respectively.
- Finally, the spinner head 25 is lowered, and, while it is suctorially stuck to the sheet object 10 and performing a predetermined rotary movement, the sheet object 10 is fed with a chemical within the inner space of the spinner cut 28, so that the surface of the sheet object 10 is treated.
Definition of suctorial in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan