noun[mass noun, usually as modifier]
- The sulphonamide family of drugs: a succession of life-saving sulpha drugsMore example sentences
- Patients who have aspirin-sensitive asthma, or allergic reactions to aspirin or other arthritis medicines or certain sulfa drugs called sulfonamides, or who are in their third trimester of pregnancy should not take Celebrex.
- Overuse of antibiotics and sulfa drugs can produce a deficiency and this results in weakness, poor appetite, hair loss, depression, a sore tongue and eczema.
- Children survived as a result of a combined effect of sulfa drugs, vaccinations for whooping cough and measles, antibiotics, and corticosteroids.
1940s: abbreviation (see sulpha-).
More definitions of sulphaDefinition of sulpha in:
- The US English dictionary