- A salt or ester of sulphuric acid, containing the anion SO42− or the divalent group —OSO2O—.More example sentences
- It occurs in all kinds of minerals, such as oxides, carbonates, nitrates, sulfates, and phosphates.
- Organic sulfates are esters and are formed by reacting an alcohol with cold sulfuric acid or by the reaction of sulfuric acid with a double bond in an alkene.
- The technique can identify iron-bearing phases (such as oxides, silicates, sulfides, sulfates, and carbonates), as well as the amount of iron in each phase and the presence of iron in various oxidation states.
late 18th century: from French sulfate, from Latin sulphur (see sulphur).
More definitions of sulphateDefinition of sulphate in:
- The US English dictionary