- A salt of sulphurous acid, containing the anion SO32−.More example sentences
- Items to be avoided are lactose, yeast, artificial dyes, titanium dioxide preservatives, sulfites, synthetic colors, and gluten.
- Normally, sulfite oxidase metabolizes sulfites to sulfates, which are excreted in the urine or reused by the body.
- The sulfite provides sufficient alkalinity to activate and maintain the developing process, and in addition acts as a solvent.
late 18th century: from French sulfite, alteration of sulfate (see sulphate).
More definitions of sulphiteDefinition of sulphite in:
- The US English dictionary