Definition of summarize in English:
Give a brief statement of the main points of (something): these results can be summarized in the following table [no object]: to summarize, there are three main categories
More example sentences
- In any speech the opening statement frames and summarizes the main ideas of the body of the speech itself.
- The conclusion recapitulates and summarizes the main findings of the work.
- The facts alleged in the statement of claim are summarized in the following five paragraphs.
sum up, abridge, condense, encapsulate, outline, give an outline of, put in a nutshell, recap, recapitulate, digest, give/make a summary of, give a synopsis of, synopsize, precis, give a precis of, give a résumé of, give an abstract of, abstract, sketch, give the main points of, give a rundown of, give the gist of, review
- Example sentences
- The look of slack-jawed disbelief on someone's face is even more satisfying than reliving the whole brain-bending experience through summarization.
- That is a fair summarisation of Sunday evening's second round senior hurling showdown between titleholders Mount Sion and Lismore which should bring a huge crowd to the Leamybrien venue.
- However, the generation of derived abstractions or intelligent samples like thumbnails and summarization can be generated automatically or semi-automatically.
- Example sentences
- His articulacy, coupled with his background knowledge, puts him head and shoulders above all other part-time BBC football summarisers.
- His first television broadcast was in the 1961 Open at Birkdale, where he was the expert summariser, Henry Longhurst was behind the microphone, and Cliff Michelmore fulfilled the role of Steve Ryder.
- He is also a respected summariser for Radio Five Live
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan