noun (plural same)
1A member of a mainly Muslim people of western Java.
- Indeed, the Sundanese in rural West Java fervently consider themselves to be as Muslim as they are Sundanese.
- In this paper, I explore Islam as it is practised by the Sundanese in the Priangan Mountains in central West Java.
- Many of Indonesia's most famous pop stars are Sundanese.
2 [mass noun] The Indonesian language of the Sundanese, with around 25 million speakers.
- They speak both their native tongue, Sundanese, and the Indonesian national language.
- A friend from high school even tried to be creative, writing a long message in three languages - Indonesian, Javanese and Sundanese.
- Most of them mix in words from other languages, like Sundanese, Javanese and the ever-present Betawi (sono in place of sana).
Relating to the Sundanese or their language.
- Popular until the 1960s, all-male reog groups often collaborated with other traditional Sundanese musicians, with gongs and flutes often added to the ensemble.
- Unfortunately, we couldn't find a suitable place in this lovely town famous for its delicious rice, as well as the tembang Cianjuran traditional Sundanese music.
- Nurul, who likes Sundanese food and seafood and enjoys the works of John Grisham and Sidney Sheldon, is a Muslim, while her husband is a Catholic.
From Sundanese Sunda, the western part of Java, + -ese.
Words that rhyme with SundaneseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Sun¦dan|ese
Definition of Sundanese in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.