adjective (sunnier, sunniest)
- 1Bright with sunlight: a sunny dayMore example sentences
- I visited on a bright, sunny afternoon, and the overabundance of daylight made it difficult to see some of the exhibits, especially the floor-mounted video screens.
- Using lush grays and greens, his paintings convincingly evoke wet and misty terrain, as well as the more crisply delineated forms and glimmer of bright sunny days.
- In reality, if you were to move from a building outside in to a bright sunny day, your eyes have to adjust to the difference in light volume.
- 1.1(Of a place) receiving much sunlight: Seefeld is set high on a sunny plateauMore example sentences
- A step down leads to the kitchen cum dining area, a sunny room with patio doors leading to the garden and two large Velux windows.
- It also has a landscaped, west-facing garden with a large sunny patio area.
- In the study, sliding patio doors lead to a large sunny patio in the back garden. The ground floor also houses a double bedroom with an en suite shower room.
- 1.2(Of a person or their temperament) cheery and bright: he had a sunny dispositionMore example sentences
- In fact, I think of you as a sunny person, very cheerful and fun to be with, just the person one wants to see come round the corner -
- He's sunny, upbeat, and cheerfully polite, and always aware of what you're doing, how well you're managing.
- He's such a vibrant, up-beat character and you get drawn into his exuberance and sunny personality.
sunny side up
- North American (Of an egg) fried on one side only: I ate a couple of eggs sunny side upMore example sentences
- Two fried eggs, sunny side up with the yolk not too runny.
- As I sat there I began thinking about the first time I went to an American diner and froze when asked what way did I want my eggs served, sunny side up, over easy, etc.
- You like your eggs sunny side up, right Dylan?
- More example sentences
- ‘Hi daddy,’ I said sunnily hoping to ease the thick tension that had settled upon us but my efforts were in vain.
- ‘Sorry about the wait,’ she said sunnily, pushing the kitchen door open with her hip.
- ‘Nothing,’ she said finally, smiling again sunnily as though the last minute had never happened.
- More example sentences
- This optimism is both more profound and more comforting than sunniness: it is a belief that narrative reflects the structure of reality and that it contains meaning.
- However, with that sunniness of disposition for which I am renowned, I decided it would probably show up the following day.
- Mango and Thai basil salad with star anise, red chili, and Brazil nuts offers as much exotic sunniness as one bowl can contain.