noun (plural supercargoes or supercargos)
- A representative of the ship’s owner on board a merchant ship, responsible for overseeing the cargo and its sale.More example sentences
- This was applied in the normal way to the foreign community, whose chiefs - supercargoes and ships' captains - could thus be held responsible for crimes committed by those under their authority.
- As the ship sails, supercargoes can find specific vehicles as needed.
- The origin of the museum was the East India Marine Society, which was founded in 1799 by shipmasters and supercargoes who had collectively amassed forty-three hundred objects made in China, Japan, India, Africa, and Oceania.
late 17th century: alteration of earlier supracargo, from Spanish sobrecargo, from sobre 'over' + cargo 'cargo'.
More definitions of supercargoDefinition of supercargo in:
- The US English dictionary