Definition of superhighway in English:
1North American A dual carriageway with controlled access.
- There were still some functioning ones on interstate superhighways running through the Southwest and Midwest Sectors.
- In the US and Europe, we're used to electricity at the flick of a switch, clean water from the kitchen faucet, high-speed rail, and well-paved superhighways traveled by giant, refrigerated trucks.
- Americans think gridlock results from merging, entering and exiting traffic, or from ‘gaper blockings’ at accident sites on superhighways, and the like.
2 (also information superhighway) An extensive electronic network such as the Internet, used for the rapid transfer of information such as sound, video, and graphics in digital form.
- This is because the Internet is the information superhighway and most people use it for information of some sort.
- The Internet merely as an information superhighway along which an advertiser sticks virtual billboards missed one of the most important aspects of the Internet: its ability to work as a one-to-one medium.
- Our research team has undertaken the first comprehensive study of child pornography on the information superhighway, and let me tell you: Perversion has gone digital, and we need to penetrate this problem now.
Definition of superhighway in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan